Home > Managed Servers > Managed Sysadmin Support - Windows 2003 Servers
Managed Sysadmin Support - Windows 2003 Servers
The information provided below is for Windows 2003 Servers
The managed server product is based around standalone Windows 2003 Servers (Standard edition or Web edition – no domains / active directories).
Base Operating System:
- 20 users created initially and 5 per month
- Backups to either tape or backup+ (schedule can be daily, weekly or monthly) of up to 10 separate paths
- Standard partitioning is 8Gb C: drive for Operating System, with the remainder of the drive set a separate disk used for data, logs and application storage
Virtual web hosting
- 20 virtual hosts created initially and 5 per month
- 1 Virtual Application per Virtual Host
- IIS functionality supported:
- ASP.net (Note: Virtual hosts will be configured with ASP.NET 1.1 by default. Customer should advise if they require virtual hosts to be configured with ASP.NET 2.0)
- Authentication (up to 5 authenticated directories per virtual host, with 1 user directory per month)
- Anonymous and user ftp (1 of each)
- Terminal Services access
MS SQL Server 2005, MS SQL Server Express or MySQL 5
- 20 database users created initially and 5 per month
- 20 databases created initially and 5 per month
(NB: MS SQL Desktop Engine 2000 is limited to 5 concurrent database connections and so is only suitable for test or very, very low traffic web applications. Once the MS SQL Desktop Engine 2000 reaches 5 concurrent connections it will queue subsequent database connections which may cause web applications to time out.)
Pulsant recommend only one Database server is run concurrently. MySQL can be installed alongside MS SQL Server 2005 or SQL 2005 Express Edition for migration purposes.
Base Windows 2003 Server with all latest service packs and hotfixes installed plus:
- Indexing Service (with a limit of 5 catalogues initial setup, and 5 new catalogues per month)
- IIS (with frontpage, ftp and smtp components)
- Script Debugger
- Terminal Services (remote administration or application mode)
- ActiveState Perl 5.6.1 + Standard PPMs
- PHP 4.4 (default, vanilla configuration)
If the customer requires any service or configuration not listed above then they should contact the sales team ([email protected]) to obtain a quote for Pulsant to provide these services.
- Pulsant will automatically apply critical level and all security hotfixes available from Microsoft informing the customer as this happens. In the case of a critical or security hotfix breaking site/server functionality, Pulsant will rollback. Prior notice may not be given due to the nature of the fixes and potential threat.
- Other hotfixes or service packs will be applied only after the customer has been given 7 days notice.
- Critical faults on the server will be dealt with 24×7, but customer-change requests will normally only be actioned within normal working hours (Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm).
- Customer-requested configuration changes can be arranged to happen outside of working hours, but these will be charged at the out-of-hours pro rata rate. All customer-requested configuration changes will be actioned within 1 working day of receipt in writing from the customer. The customer will be notified of any changes made to their managed server.
End user access
- The end user shall be provided access to the server via one or more user accounts. Administrator access will not be permitted.
- Users may access the system by Terminal Services, FTP or SMB from trusted static IP addresses. Up to 10 such addresses may be nominated.
- Terminal Services are limited to 2 concurrent connections with a 10 minute idle timeout and customers must ensure 1 connection is available to Pulsant to carry out server management tasks on demand.
- Changes to administrator level configurations shall be made by the web admin interface, or by request to the Pulsant support system.